The Colorado Gold Conference Book Sale is a great way to promote yourself as an author and sell copies of your books. Not only are there over 400 attendees, the public is also invited to attend the Friday night book signing. Please spread the word to your friends and fans.
It takes time to order books, design the book signing area layout, and get the bookkeeping set up for our seller, Who Else! Books. And space is limited in both the bookstore and at the Friday night signing. That’s why we ask that everyone eligible provide advance notice they wish to participate. If you miss the deadline to sign up or we’ve reached our limit, you will be out of luck. So read on, be informed, and don’t miss out on this event!
Lots of people ask if they are eligible for the bookstore and signing on Friday, so here’s a list of who can participate in the Friday night signing:
- Anyone who is presenting a workshop or participating on a panel
- RMFW PAL members
- RMFW IPAL members
If you are an RMFW member, you can have your books in the bookstore, even if you can’t attend the conference.
Ways to Participate
- Eligible authors can request a spot at the Friday night signing. That way, you can talk to readers, sign your books, and sell copies through Who Else! Books. Nina and Ron Else are happy to order books for the store or take copies on consignment. They will pay you 75% of the selling price of your consigned books sold at Conference.
- Authors can have copies of their books at the conference bookstore, whether or not they participate in the book signing. Nina and Ron Else are happy to order books for the store or take copies on consignment.
- This year we’ve added after-panel book signings outside the bookstore, another opportunity to meet readers. If you are a panelist and you want to participate in an after-panel signing, you are responsible to sign up to ensure your book is available in the bookstore. Also make sure you identify that you want to participate in one of these signings on the sign up form. And in case you’re wondering, you can participate in both after-panel signings and the Friday night signing.
How Are Authors Chosen for the Book Signing?
Special guests, Honored Guiding Members, and WOTY and IWOTY nominees are guaranteed a table at the Friday night book signing. Because space is limited, we are implementing a lottery drawing to select all other authors. That way, there is no need to hurry and sign up early this year, although you must sign up before the deadline. We will draw participating authors in the signing proportionately, based on total PAL and total IPAL members.
After the lottery selection process, Nina Else will contact you personally mid to late July about your books. We will also post the authors drawn on the website in case emails don’t reach recipients. Please make sure to add email@example.com to your email address book and promptly reply to her emails. Also note that if there are any cancellations by lottery winners, we will draw for replacements.
When and How to Sign Up
Sign up begins May 20th and runs through July 1st at 11:59 (Edit: date moved up on 5/23) PM MDT. This year you’ll fill out a form on the rmfw.org website, accessible from a link on the home page and conference page. The form will ask for the same information as in previous years plus a few more items. Make sure you complete the entire form. If you leave out information Who Else! Books needs for accounting, you risk not being a part of the book sale and signing.
Everyone who wants to be in the bookstore and signing must complete the form. Be prepared to provide the following information:
- How you plan to participate: bookstore, book signing, and/or after-panel signing
- Author information including your name, pen name, and email address
- PAL/IPAL membership status and additional information about your eligibility
- Information about each of your books for ordering and payment purposes
- Whether you’re bringing books on consignment or need your books ordered
- Any additional special instructions for Who Else! Books
Now mark your calendar! Return here to the RMFW website on May 20th and reserve your spot in the bookstore and enter the book signing lottery.
Note to Presenters: If you plan to recommend any books on writing craft during your sessions, we appreciate your sending the titles to Nina of Who Else! Books at firstname.lastname@example.org. She will do her best to include your recommendations in the conference bookstore. And don’t forget to mention during your workshop that the bookstore has your suggestions in stock.
Post by Nina & Ron Else of Who Else! Books and Bonnie Biafore, Book Signing Coordinator
5/17/16 Correction: When originally published, this article incorrectly stated "Special guests, presenters, Honored Guiding Members, and WOTY and IWOTY nominees are guaranteed a table at the Friday night book signing..." This has been corrected to remove presenters from those guaranteed a table.