Thinking of submitting? Great! Don't miss these two workshop opportunities, where you can learn firsthand what editors Warren Hammond and Angie Hodapp will be looking for as they select stories for publication:
False Faces: Tales of Fakes, Frauds, and Facades
We are not what we seem.
Masks. Everybody wears them. Perhaps they are literal masks worn by surgeons, superheroes, bank robbers, trick-or-treaters, or thespians. Perhaps they are metaphorical masks, shaped by the stories we tell each other and lies we tell ourselves. Whether for a single moment or for the span of an entire life, we’ve all been drawn to the idea of masquerading as something we are not.
These stories will feature masks of every kind. Explore what happens when we—or our friends, enemies, or lovers—conceal ourselves behind carefully constructed identities. Why do we hide? What are we afraid to confront? And what happens when at last the masks come off?
- March 1 – June 30, 2017: Submissions period open.
- July 1 – September 30, 2017: All submissions read; selections made.
- October 1, 2017: Notifications made; contracts sent.
- October 15, 2017: Signed contracts due.
- October 16, 2017 – January 31, 2018: Developmental editing.
- January 31, 2018: Final revisions due back from authors; author bios due.
- February 1 – March 31, 2018: Assembly of manuscript and related materials; copyedit; cover design.
- April 1 – April 30, 2018: Print layout; all files for print and ebook editions completed and ready for output.
- May 1 – July 31, 2018: Advance copies sent to reviewers and media outlets.
- August 1, 2018: Final files uploaded for publication; first print run ordered for Colorado Gold Conference.
- September 2018: Publication
- Word count: 1,000 to 6,000
- Submissions accepted: March 1 - June 30, 2017
- You must be a member of RMFW to submit to the RMFW anthology.
- Both published and unpublished authors are welcome to submit.
- Submissions will be accepted in the following genres:
- Speculative Fiction
- Young Adult
- This a commercial, short-fiction anthology. No poetry, flash fiction, fan fiction, content for young readers (middle grade or younger), gratuitous content, content for the inspirational market, experimental or slipstream fiction, scripts, or nonfiction (including memoir or personal essay) will be accepted.
- Submissions must be original, unpublished works. Submissions may not have been previously published or accepted for publication. "Published" includes self-published or independently published works on major distribution websites like Amazon or Smashwords. "Published" includes publication in other anthologies, magazines or e-zines. "Published" does not include stories posted to your personal website.
- No simultaneous submissions, please.
- Multiple submissions accepted, so long as each entry follows submissions guidelines.
- Electronic submissions only. Please look for the online submissions form here as soon as the submissions period opens March 1, 2017.
- Please format your entry as follows:
- Your name must not appear anywhere on the story.
- Word document only (.doc or .docx).
- File name = the title of your story
- 12-point Courier New or Times New Roman
- Double spaced
- One-inch margins all around
- Header including story title and page number (but not your name)
- Drop the first line of your story 1/3 of the way down the first page.
Can stories be R rated?
Our preference would be to keep it PG-13, for the same reason that most movies shoot for that level of adult content: it leaves the anthology open to the widest audience. However, the anthology editors reserve the right to to evaluate each story on a case-by-case basis.
How many submissions will the book contain?
We expect to publish 15-20 works in the anthology.
If my story is accepted, do I get paid?
As much as we would love to pay for stories, at this point we’re not in a position to do so. Any money that the anthology makes will go toward funding RMFW. All of the participants are strictly volunteers, including the editors.
Email email@example.com with questions or concerns.