Happy Halloween or Oct 31st, depending on your preference for the spooky. In honor, I've created a list of the things that go bump in the night and often the day for my writer friends. Feel free to add your own in the comments:
- There is less than 20 hours until NaNoWriMo starts
- Editors who change deadlines from Jan 2 to Nov 1 (yes, this is my life)
- The editorial letter (which always seems like the longest email in the history of emails)
- Agents. In general.
- Non-compete clause in a contract
- Lifetime rights
- PW No Star Reviews
- Amazon's rating system. Who thought up the cruel 1-5 star ratings? Sadists, that's who.
- Roving Goodreads reviewers
- Typing THE END
- Typing the first word in a new work. Mine is usually a swear one.
- Pitching in an elevator, that then get's stuck between floors after the agent/editor says the idea sucks.
- Query letters
- Reader expectations
- Having 40k done on Nov 30
- Paying for college tuition for kids off what we make as writers
BOO! Your turn. What scares you?