Western Slope Monthly Programs are free to both members and non-members. They are three to four hours long on a Saturday morning. Topics vary. Check the event for registration requirements. Questions? Contact Terri Benson at email@example.com.
October Free Program
How To Know When You're Really Ready to Submit
Saturday, October 28 | 9:00 am - 12:00 pm
Business Incubator Center
2591 Legacy Way, Grand Junction, CO 81503 (Map)
All are welcome to attend. A light breakfast will be included. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to RSVP.
You’re writing a book, but how do you know it’s really done and ready to submit to editors and agents? Multi-published author and publisher Bernadette Marie (Soehner) will walk you through the steps, starting with completing your manuscript, polishing it, and finishing with tips for submissions. This workshop will help you:
- identify when a manuscript is complete (size/word count for different genres; novelette/novella/novel)
- with tips on edits, ensuring a solid story arc and planning a synopsis
- know how to find a beta reader and what their job is
- discover flaws in the flow and what to do about them
- plan read-throughs and rewrites to avoid jumbling the manuscript
- decide on your path to publication and what that will take
- write the dreaded synopsis from your earlier notes
- write the even-more-dreaded query
- understand what social media you might want to be on
Bestselling author Bernadette Marie is known for building families readers want to be part of. Her series The Keller Family has graced bestseller charts since its release in 2011, along with her other series and single title books. The married mother of five sons promises Happily Ever After always…and says she can write it, because she lives it.
A chronic entrepreneur, Bernadette Marie opened her own publishing house in 2011, 5 Prince Publishing, so that she could publish the books she liked to write and help make the dreams of other aspiring authors come true too. She is also the Owner/CEO of Illumination Author Events and Services which offers small venue author/reader events, online marketing opportunities, and author services. Bernadette Marie is also shares her vast knowledge of the writing and publishing market through workshops and online classes.
When not writing, publishing, or teaching, Bernadette Marie is shuffling her sons to their many events—mostly hockey—and enjoying the beautiful views of the Colorado Rocky Mountains from her front step. She is also an accomplished martial artist with a second degree black belt in Tang Soo Do.