I did it! I’m the best.
Some of my excuses are good ones – I submitted to the RMFW Anthology, I submitted to Gold, and I judged Gold. However, this is over about a three month period, and I can guarantee all three of those added together did not come close to that much time.
My other excuses included:
- Obsessively watching every Harry Potter movie that I found on cable, some more than once
- Rereading books I love, but…REreading
- Having a yard sale (OK, so that took, like, DAYS to get ready for)
- Ironing (yes, I still do that – but only when I’m avoiding writing)
- Looking at recipes on the Internet, and in my cook books, and anywhere else I could find them (and not making them)
- Reorganizing my cupboards in the kitchen (bonus – I found all the years-long expired ingredients that might have been fatal if used)
- Buying, but not planting, a bunch of flowers and vegetables (Why not planted? Because I forgot I need to fix my irrigation system set up before they all died)
So now you have an idea about how scattered I’ve been this summer. It’s mid-July, and I promised myself I would have my WIP submitted to agents by end of August. I think I’m going to need to come up with some kind of horrible penalty if I don’t, like having my husband tear out the bathtub and replace it with a shower if I don’t (that would be a fate nearly worse than death to me!). Or I should get back in a critique group so I HAVE to get something written (cheaper, and probably more productive).
Are any of you having trouble focusing on writing this summer? What are your solutions?
I hope to see you all at Gold, if not sooner, and I won’t hold it against you if you ask me if I got my manuscript submitted. In the meantime, I solemnly swear to Write On!