The 2016 RMFW Writers Retreat
March 10-13, 2016
Franciscan Retreat Center, Colorado Springs, Colorado
Registration Opens October 1, 2015
RMFW is thrilled to announce our fourth annual writers retreat! Our 2016 location, the Franciscan Retreat Center in Colorado Springs, Colorado, is a peaceful, breathtaking setting in the foothills of the Colorado Rockies. You're sure to find inspiration in the natural beauty that will surround you. Come write with us!
Courtney Miller-Callahan, Greenburger Associates
Women's Fiction / Romance / Historical Fiction / Middle Grade / Young Adult
Courtney began her career in publishing at Random House, where she spent a number of years in subsidiary rights sales and in contracts before joining Sanford J. Greenburger Associates in 2005. A member of the Romance Writers of America, she works closely with authors to help them reach their full creative and commercial potential.
Courtney holds a B.A. in Literature from the University of California, Santa Cruz and a M.A. in English from The Johns Hopkins University. She lives with her family in Southern California and travels frequently for meetings and conferences.
Cassiel Knight, Champagne Book Group
Romance / Science Fiction / Fantasy / Mystery / Thriller / Horror / Young Adult / New Adult
Cassiel Knight has worked in the publishing industry for over twenty years. Currently, she is the senior editor at Champagne Book Group, an independent small press located in High River, AB Canada. Cassie is also an instructor at Savvy Authors. Passionate about the craft and business of writing, especially within the romance genre, she actively mentors writers and has taught numerous workshops, both in-person and online.
Thursday, March 10
TBD - Check-In, writing time
TBD - Meet and Greet
Friday, March 11
TBD - Revision Strategies - Courtney Miller-Callahan
TBD - Round Table Critiques with Courtney Miller-Callahan and Cassiel Knight
TBD - Writing Time
TBD - Author Readings
Saturday, March 12
TBD - Surviving Almost There - Cassiel Knight
TBD - Writing Time
TBD - Blue Pencil Cafe with Courtney Miller-Callahan and Cassiel Knight
TBD - A Reddit-style AMA (Q&A session) - Courtney Miller-Callahan
Sunday, March 13
TBD - All About Publishing Contracts - Courtney Miller-Callahan
TBD - Writing Time
TBD - Check-Out
How much does it cost to attend the retreat?
RMFW does not aim to make money on the retreat; we aim to break even. We divide the total costs (location rental plus speaker fees) by the target number of attendees to give you the most affordable experience possible. The costs to attend the 2016 retreat are:
- $389 | Single attendee rate. Three nights with a room to yourself, plus meals.
- $299 | "Bring a Buddy" rate. Three nights sharing a room with two twin beds, plus meals.
- $60 | "Days Only" rate for writers who want to make their own lodging arrangements or drive home at night. This covers one day of the retreat plus meals for that day. You may select one or more days.
What's included in the cost of registration?
- Three nights' lodging in one of the Franciscan Retreat Center's comfortable rooms.
- All meals.
- Access to the FRC's vast grounds and all their guest amenities, including massage therapy, native trails, a labyrinth and peace park.
- Minutes-away access to Colorado Springs, Garden of the Gods, Cave of the Winds, Cripple Creek, Glen Eyrie Castle, The Olympic Complex, and Pikes Peak Cog Railway.
- After-dinner author readings.
- The opportunity to meet and spend time with other writers.
- The opportunity to relax and draw inspiration from the gorgeous mountain views and relaxed setting.
- The opportunity to spend time focusing solely on being a writer.
We ask kindly that all attendees be courteous and refrain from talking in the common room during quiet writing time.
What To Bring
- Layers. Colorado weather in the spring can be 80 degrees and sunny, or it can be snowy and cold, so plan to layer your clothing accordingly.
- Walking shoes or hiking boots. Whatever the weather, you’ll want to be prepared to take breaks from your writing to walk around the retreat center or join others for an impromptu hike on the nearby trails.
- Laptop, notebook, pens, pencils, story bibles, storyboards, sticky notes, index cards...whatever you need to make progress on your current work.
- A cushion or lumbar support device, if you have a hard time sitting for a long time.
- Power cord, extension cord, and/or power strip.
How many people can come?
We will max out at 30 registrants, or we will close registration when all the bedrooms have been booked, whichever happens first. It depends on how many registrants want to stay in their own room or share a room with one other person. We will be staying in Marion Hall, which has two floors of rooms, most with private baths. Please note that the retreat center sits among an active convent. The rooms are simple yet comfortable. There is no television, but WiFi is available free of charge.
The retreat center has a guest dining room with a wide choice of meals to choose from, including gluten free and vegetarian meals. Meals are included in your registration fee.
Can I come to the retreat during the day, but make my own lodging arrangements separate from the retreat cabin?
Yes! The cost for the "days-only" option is a flat fee of $60 per day and includes meals.
Please email your questions to Retreat Chair Susan Brooks at firstname.lastname@example.org. We look forward to hosting you in Colorado Springs Park in 2016!