- Rules and Instructions
- Contest FAQ
- Genre categories and subgenres
- 2016 Sample Scoresheet
- Recap of the March 2015 contest workshop and tips from the Contest Chair
- Manuscript Formatting for the Modern Writer, by independent publisher Terry Wright
- How To Write a Synopsis the Quick and Easy Way, from writer Laurence MacNaughton
- Why I Like Judging Writing Contests, by Colorado Gold judge Karen Duvall
- Colorado Gold judge Janet Lane on the value of entering writing contests
- Writer Janet Fogg's thoughts on contest
- Past Finalists & Winners
- Call for Judges
2016 Contest Timeline
Saturday, March 12: Contest Workshop
Friday, April 1, at midnight: Contest opens
Wednesday, May 31, 11:59 PM MST: Contest closes
Thursday, August 1: Finalists announced
Early to mid August: Non-finaling entries returned to contestants
Saturday, September 10: Winners are announced at the Saturday night banquet
to stay informed about the Colorado Gold Contest.
For over thirty years, the Colorado Gold contest for emerging writers has given commercial-fiction novelists the chance to get their work in front of acquiring agents and editors while also providing feedback and encouragement for the craft of writing.
Contest opens for submissions on April 1st and closes May 31st. Two judges from RMFW evaluate and score each entry. The top five submissions scoring 130 points or more in each category make the finals and will then be judged by an agent or editor who is attending the Colorado Gold Conference.
$30 per entry or $55 per entry to receive a critique from one of the first-round judges.
Enter the first 4000 words of your manuscript and a 750 word synopsis in one of six categories (see below). Final judges will pick 1st, 2nd and 3rd place winners.
In addition to a beautiful certificate, finalists will receive:
1st place: $150
2nd place: $100
3rd place: $75
2 remaining finalists: $30
Action/Thriller (Judge: Peter Joseph of St. Martin's Press)
Mystery/Suspense (Judge: Amy Stapp of Tor Books)
Romance ( Judge: Elizabeth Poteet of St. Martin's Press)
Speculative Fiction (Judge: Diana Pho from Tor Books)
Young Adult/Middle Grade (Judge:Shannon Hassan of Marsal Lyon Literary Agency)
Mainstream and Other Genres (Judge: Rachelle Gardner of Books & Such Literary Management)