Our monthly feature, The RMFW Spotlight, is intended to provide members of Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers with more information about our board members as well as featured volunteers. This month we're pleased to present Mari Christie.
1. Mari, tell us what you do for RMFW and why you are involved.
I’ve just started as PR Chair, which means I get the word out about RMFW news and events. (Currently looking for social media volunteers…)
2. What is your current WIP or most recent publication, and where can we buy a book, if available?
Right now, my books on sale are historical romance, The Sailing Home Series and a standalone, La Déesse Noire: The Black Goddess. I’m also co-writing a serialized Victorian romance posted weekly on Wattpad, Never Kiss a Toad. I am, however, presently moving into mainstream historical, currently working on a Civil War story, Blind Tribute, to come out next year.
3. We've all heard of bucket lists -- you know, those life-wish lists of experiences, dreams or goals we want to accomplish-- what's one of yours?
I don’t believe in bucket lists. I try to live in such a way as to avoid regrets at the end of my life. That said, if fantasies count, I would not mind at all if Anson Mount played the lead role in the Paramount Pictures version of Blind Tribute.
4. Most writers have an Achilles heel with their writing. Confess, what's yours?
Setting and description. That is always second draft work. Pacing is a hard slog, too, but better than it used to be.
5. What do you love most about the writing life?
6. Now that you have a little writing experience, what advice would you go back and give yourself as a beginning writer?
Start sooner. Don’t be afraid of failing.
7. What does your desk look like? What item must be on your desk? Do you have any personal, fun items you keep on it?
My desk is a serious mess. The only things that must be on it are my cats, India and Burton (they told me to write that, but it isn’t really true), and my computer. One thing I’ve had at eye level for years is a brass ingot of a meditating lion.
8. What book are you currently reading (or what was the last one you read)?
I’m currently reading A Bohemian Brigade: The Civil War Correspondents.
Thank you, Mari. We wish you well in your new position with Rocky Mountain Fiction Writers.