By Kevin Paul Tracy
Here is a list of the top ten things overheard at a book release party.
10. "My wife loves your books! Can you sign it to her: Roger Smith?"
9. "Is the author someone famous, or just a writer?"
8. "Yes, the author signed it, we couldn't stop him. If you can find an unsigned copy, it's worth an absolute fortune." (A nod to the movie "Notting Hill")
7. "I have the best idea for a book...maybe you could write it!"
6. "Wake up, honey, he's done reading out loud."
5. "You mean I have to pay for it?"
4. "I've written a book, too. It's a 500 page memoir of my grandfather's struggles with gout. I happened to bring it with me. Would you mind reading it and telling me what you think of it?"
3. "I always come to these things. You never know what's going to turn out to be priceless...after the writer is dead."
2. "I've heard of door prizes, but the book's cover imprinted on a butane lighter? Doesn't bode well for the book itself."
And the #1 thing overheard at a book signing party:
1. "Is this the line for the restroom?"